15.8 C
Sydney
11 août 2022

The English Topic

40 sujets de 81 à 120 (sur un total de 311)
  • Auteur
    Messages
  • #308560
    effisk
    Participant
    Kanguhru wrote:
    Kate09 wrote:
    Kanguhru wrote:
    Sniff, that stays one of my dream 🙂

    A tip for you Kanguhru: in English, we use « sniff » as the sound you make when you have a cold/the flu, or it can be use a little bit like a sound of contempt….so quite different.
    I learned recently that the direct translation for « sniff » into English is « sob »

    which makes it « Sob, that remains one of my dreams »

    Hope this helps 😀

    Kate

    Ok ! I stick it somewhere in my brain 😀 But « Sob » is really odd !

    « that remains one of my dreams (sigh) » is another option.

    #308561
    Kanguhru
    Membre
    effisk wrote:
    Kanguhru wrote:
    Kate09 wrote:
    Kanguhru wrote:
    Sniff, that stays one of my dream 🙂

    A tip for you Kanguhru: in English, we use « sniff » as the sound you make when you have a cold/the flu, or it can be use a little bit like a sound of contempt….so quite different.
    I learned recently that the direct translation for « sniff » into English is « sob »

    which makes it « Sob, that remains one of my dreams »

    Hope this helps 😀

    Kate

    Ok ! I stick it somewhere in my brain 😀 But « Sob » is really odd !

    « that remains one of my dreams (sigh) » is another option.

    That’s true ! ^^ I knew this one 😛

    #308562
    tadpole
    Membre

    Its true that sob (which rhymes with yob) is a weird word, but thats just the english language for you!!
    Some of the french words and expressions are wierd for us too.

    Effisk, how can you be retired and be such a surf puppy??? 😛

    #308563
    effisk
    Participant
    tadpole wrote:
    effisk, how can you be retired and be such a surf puppy??? 😛

    hehe.
    It isn’t antonymous is it?

    daddy.jpg

    btw, when would you say it isn’t and when is it’s not more appropriate?

    #308564
    tadpole
    Membre

    Pretty much the same thing really it isn’t and it’s not. Im not an expert but to me it’s not would be the more « proper » way to speak, depends with who you are and in what situation. Its not really important, I mean its like some people in french say c’est pas and some ce n’est pas. 😕

    Wow effisk, is that really your bum on the photo?? Funny, on your blog there are no photos of the « elderly » 😮

    #308565
    OzBoy
    Membre

    I thought effish was jounger . 😆

    #308566
    Kanguhru
    Membre
    tadpole wrote:
    Pretty much the same thing really it isn’t and it’s not. Im not an expert but to me it’s not would be the more « proper » way to speak, depends with who you are and in what situation. Its not really important, I mean its like some people in french say c’est pas and some ce n’est pas. 😕

    So « it isn’t » is like « c’est pas », and « it’s not » « ce n’est pas » ?

    But, grammaticarly (not sure about this word :lol:), « c’est pas » isn’t right, whereas the two english way.

    #308567
    effisk
    Participant
    tadpole wrote:
    Pretty much the same thing really it isn’t and it’s not. Im not an expert but to me it’s not would be the more « proper » way to speak, depends with who you are and in what situation.

    I discussed this today at lunch with a couple of friends: an American, an English and an Australian.

    They tend to think that « it’s not » is used when one wants to emphasize the negation.

    Google clearly votes in favor of « it’s not » (144,000,000 results) rather than « it isn’t » (35,300,000).

    tadpole wrote:
    Its not really important, I mean its like some people in french say c’est pas and some ce n’est pas. 😕

    « ce n’est pas » is correct, « c’est pas » isn’t. It’s not the same thing. 😛
    And why do you write « it’s » without the apostrophe? This is the most common mistake I see, in magazines, books and on the internet. Did you do that to save a keystroke?

    tadpole wrote:
    Wow effisk, is that really your bum on the photo?? Funny, on your blog there are no photos of the « elderly » 😮

    nope, not me. I forgot to mention where I was (I’m actually holding the camera).

    #308568
    OzBoy
    Membre

    That sounds better now .

    A conclusion for the  » it’s  » staff ?

    #308569
    tadpole
    Membre

    Effisk, you will find that a lot of english speaking/writing people dont put in commas, apostrophies (??? see, dont even know how to spell it)!! etc because when we read english we dont even see those any more and dont really need them to understand the word. So we are just lazy and dont put them in any more, I type really fast and find it a pain in the ass to take time out of my rythem to put in grammer stuff. But thats just my personal lazy case.

    Ps, Im sure effisk is young too and not retired at all but just wrote « retired » in his profile so that we wouldn’t all find out that he is in fact an elephant trainer by day and a nude model for art class to make ends meet at night to pay for his surfing trips!! 😆 ha ha, we have found you out now effisk!! 😆

    #308570
    OzBoy
    Membre

    😆 Funny

    #308571
    effisk
    Participant
    tadpole wrote:
    apostrophies […] rhythem

    you don’t have time to put in apostrophes but you still find time to add extra characters 😆

    I understand you can be tempted to bypass apostrophes when you’re writing on a messageboard. However, when you see that mistake at random in a newspaper column, it is a mistake, plain and simple.

    tadpole wrote:
    Ps, Im sure effisk is young too and not retired at all but just wrote « retired » in his profile so that we wouldn’t all find out that he is in fact an elephant trainer by day and a nude model for art class to make ends meet at night to pay for his surfing trips!! 😆 ha ha, we have found you out now effisk!! 😆

    hehe, what’s your next message gonna be? You’re taking up night art classes?

    #308572
    tadpole
    Membre

    So sorry for making plain and simple mistakes. I will try and be careful to type properly from now on.

    Nah, im not taking up art classes, I dont have time for myself during the day let alone at night. My artistic talent will just have to stay hidden within. 😛

    By the way, who has been watching the rugby these days?? Any fans? I am half watching France/Ireland at the mo.
    Anyone got any good tips on how to get tickets the world cup next year? My boxing kangaroo flag is getting all excited about getting out of its box!

    #308573
    OzBoy
    Membre

    I’d find cool if my host family would go to rubgy during my trip . I wanna see hooligans

    #308574
    OzBoy
    Membre

    It’s sooo empty today . I know ppl arent 24/24 online but here’s no man’s land

    #308575
    tadpole
    Membre

    There arent any hooligans in Rugby, you must be confused with Football or Soccer!!! 😛

    #308576
    OzBoy
    Membre

    Not talking bout real hooligans . But fact I’m confused because in France hooligans are the ones who disturb the match . It’s part of fun when the limit is not crossing .

    #308577
    tadpole
    Membre

    I guess you must mean your looking forward to seeing some typical ozzie « yobs » at the rugby match. YOBS meaning typical aussie men, drinking beer, shouting insults at players/coach/umpire, with their bellies hanging over their pants and butt cracks showing a go-go. Half looking at the match and half looking out for some hot « shelias ». (girls)

    You’ll get plently of those just walking around the streets even if you dont get to go to a match! 😆

    #308578
    OzBoy
    Membre

    Yep That’s it ^^

    #308579
    tadpole
    Membre

    🙁 Effisk hasn’t been back since our grammer discussion, it must have made him feel sick reading my terrible posts!! 😛

    Note the effort I’ve made in today’s post though thank you very much! 😛

    #308580
    OzBoy
    Membre

    Hiho , yep it’s going empty here . Sad 😕

    Soon it’s holidays , sounds cool and it would be.

    7 days skiing and the rest sleeping

    #308581
    tadpole
    Membre

    Ah come on, it’s not THAT empty!! There’s you, and well, me, and um um, you and me, and me and you, and there’s me, and you. 😛 😆

    #308582
    OzBoy
    Membre

    and us of course

    #308583
    OzBoy
    Membre

    N’ you ? what about your holidays if ya got ‘ course

    #308584
    effisk
    Participant

    I guess some people do have a life. :|

    #308585
    OzBoy
    Membre

    Yep , sad that you have not . Poor you old boy .

    #308586
    effisk
    Participant

    hehe now you’re making me laugh :yell:

    #308587
    OzBoy
    Membre

    Yeah you too 😆

    I just wish you didnt take it to the bad way .

    Have a party 😮 Cya

    #308588
    tadpole
    Membre

    Nope, no hols for me Oz boy. My next holidays won’t be until this summer. My parents are coming over from New Zealand in May and staying for about four months so we will all go away somewhere together.

    Effisk!! I have a life! I even have two lives (3 year old and 16 month year old) so believe me I’M busy and occupied too 😛

    It’s funny, all these people on the forum who want to go to Oz and not alot of interest in the english topic. Could it be that they are off to Oz without being able to speak it??? 😕

    #308589
    effisk
    Participant

    I guess they are able to make themselves understood but they’re not confident enough to discuss in English on a forum. Plus it’s a bit awkward to discuss in English when you know all interlocutors are fluent in French.

    #308590
    m@d
    Membre
    Quote:
    it’s a bit awkward to discuss in English when you know all interlocutors are fluent in French

    I don’t think so. It’s easier to write in English to a French than to talk to him/her. If you’re not drunk it’s to weird to do.

    tadpole what kind of job are you doing in France? What is the reason you choose this country?

    This topic is a great idea to keep the English level you had… cause when you come back in France it decreases a lot if you’re not working it…

    #308591
    effisk
    Participant
    m@d wrote:
    Quote:
    it’s a bit awkward to discuss in English when you know all interlocutors are fluent in French

    I don’t think so. It’s easier to write in English to a French than to talk to him/her.

    I was not comparing English writing and speaking skills; I was just stating the fact that it is easier to write in French than in English when discussing on the messageboard.

    #308592
    OzBoy
    Membre

    Was hard to go to school this morning … 😥

    I think that it’s easier to be understand when you talk to a guy then when you write .

    It’s harder for me to choose my words

    Effisk , about your life’s staff . I think we all have a life , dunno about you but in my concern yes .

    #308593
    tadpole
    Membre

    😛 I think your all taking things a little too seriously!!

    M@d, I didn’t actually choose to come to France, I arrived in 92 at 17 with my whole family because of my fathers job in a big french company; am I allowed to say brand names here; oh what the heck, because of L’oreal.

    My older sister wasn’t happy here so she went to live in London for a year but then decided to return to Sydney and my parents moved on for work again to Austria and then India and I decided to stay here.

    I used to teach english in primary schools over here but since now having two children I am on a congé parentale. I am quite happy living here in France even though on birthdays, christmas etc I get a little blue and get home sick and miss the family. It’s funny, it’s more my husband who wants to go and live in Australia. I don’t mind. I’m happy anywhere.
    I am lucky, I live near Disneyland so lots of english speaking people around here at the shops etc and in the town where I live there is even a huge residence for all the ex pats who work at Disney so I hear english still alot and of course I have a satellite dish to get all the english channel like BBC etc.

    NB Effisk, note the effort again 😆 😛

    #308594
    effisk
    Participant
    tadpole wrote:
    NB effisk, note the effort again 😆 😛

    hehe.

    Funny enough, I didn’t notice until you mentioned it. However you wouldn’t have written the apostrophes I would have noticed the lack of effort 😉

    #308595
    Kate09
    Membre

    Hi Oz Boy and Tadpole, I’m back too, when I’m not busy with my Bed & Breakfast/chambre d’hote.

    tadpole wrote:
    It’s funny, all these people on the forum who want to go to Oz and not alot of interest in the english topic. Could it be that they are off to Oz without being able to speak it??? 😕

    Well said, Tadpole. I wondered this too…. my recommendation for Frenchies would really be to practice here before you arrive in Australia, because English could be more difficult than you expect, and any practice beforehand will surely help (like I do with my French every day and get a lot of benefit from)

    Every new lot of guests I have in my B & B just make me want to visit France right now instead of waiting until May…. but at least next week I will be on a camping holiday on the way to Sydney 😀

    Kate

    #308596
    tadpole
    Membre

    Cool Kate, you have a bed and breakfast.

    I know an ozzie girl over here that has opened a b and b as well in the Puy du dome area called « chez l’australienne ». All her rooms are named after oz animals like the koala room, the emu room.

    She cooks ozzie like meals etc. I read her « livre d’or » and people are very satified with her b and b. Good on her. Its tough work isn’t it??

    Effisk, maybe i’ll stop the effort so you will again notice me??!! 🙂

    #308597
    effisk
    Participant
    tadpole wrote:
    effisk, maybe i’ll stop the effort so you will again notice me??!! 🙂

    😆

    #308598
    tadpole
    Membre

    Ok folks, im off tommorrow for my interview at the prefecture to become a french citizen!! Im really freaked out actually. Usually in the prefecture from my experiences with the « carte de sejour » they arent very nice to us so i’m getting very nervous for tommorrow, hoping I haven’t forgotten anything out of the two pages of papers they have asked for.

    Im thinking, living with a frenchman with whom I’ve had two kids it should go alright, but thats just me ‘the stress master!’ when having anything to do with important papers.

    anyway, wish me luck. 😛
    (soon not to be considered australian in france) 🙁

    #308599
    effisk
    Participant

    good luck for your interview 😉

40 sujets de 81 à 120 (sur un total de 311)
  • Vous devez être connecté pour répondre à ce sujet.

Nos articles